|ZPacks™ Hexamid Pocket Tarp
The Hexamid Pocket is our lightest tarp ever! It is identical to our
popular Hexamid Solo tarp, except made from even lighter weight .34
oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber. It is meant to be used as an emergency shelter
carried in your day pack. It would also be useful for sitting out
rain on day hikes, or nighttime shelter on short ultralight trips.
Constructed from .34 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber material. This material
is made from the same laminate as our normal .51 oz/sqyd and .74
oz/sqyd tent materials, but with fewer Dyneema threads. That means
it is equally as waterproof, but has slightly less tear strength.
The material is strong enough for an occasional use shelter, but
may not be the best choice for every day use, such as a thru-hike.
Sets up with just one trekking pole or walking stick adjusted
to around 48 inches (122 cm), and a minimum of six
stakes. Eight stakes are recommended.
Tent pole is
available if you don't use trekking poles.
Fixed length guy lines using no-stretch spectra cord make setup easy. No line adjusters or knot tying
- Ample space for one person plus gear. The tarp is long enough
for most people to fully stretch out their arms and legs, and tall enough to sit
- Cuben Fiber is made from Dyneema threads which do not stretch.
The tarp stays taut all night. Nylon materials by comparison can stretch and sag,
especially if it gets wet.
- All the seams are
triple stitched and taped, and the tie outs are bonded. No seam
- The inside of each corner has a loop for clipping on your
groundsheet. The peak also has a loop on the inside for hanging a
flashlight or stuff sack.
- A Cuben Fiber Ground Sheet
is sold separately. Alternatively you can use a
inexpensive material like Tyvek or Polycryo for your groundsheet.
- The shelter can be easily repaired in the field since
duct tape or
Cuben Fiber Tape sticks well to the fabric.
- The Extended Beak option shown on our other Hexamids is not
available on this tarp since it is meant as a super-ultralight
emergency shelter only.
- All ZPacks gear has a one year warranty against defects in
materials or workmanship. Returns or exchanges are welcome.
- For more info check out the Tent
- Peak Height: 47 inches (119 cm)
- Length: 9 feet (2.75 meters)
- Width at center: 54 inches (137 cm)
- Width at ends: 30 inches (76 cm)
- Entryway Height: 29 inches (74 cm)
- A Hexamid Pocket Tarp weighs just 3.1 ounces (88 grams) including the
- Bright yellow
Z-Line spectra guy
lines add .3 oz (8 grams)
- A mini size Cuben Fiber stuff sack adds .1 ounces (3 grams)
- Six elastic bands and clips are included to attach your
groundsheet to the shelter. .5 ounces (14 grams)
- The Total weight for a Hexamid Pocket tarp is 4.0
ounces (113 grams) including the guy lines, stuff sack, and
elastic clips to attach a groundsheet.
- Titanium stakes, and
a groundsheet are sold
separately. If you choose to use a Solo size Cuben Fiber
Groundsheet (2.7 ounces), eight 6" titanium stakes (1.5 ounces) and a cuben
fiber stake sack (.1 ounces) then your Grand Total for the
complete shelter would be 8.3 ounces (235 grams).
These weights are as accurate as possible. Compare carefully! Many
other manufacturers leave out seam sealing, lines, stuff sack,
stakes, ground sheet etc from their weights.
Click for full size images
Back in 2011 we made a handful of Hexamid Solo tarps in .34 oz/sqyd
material by mistake, but customers bought them up. Here is some
feedback on how they have held up!
Hexamid Pocket Discussion at BPL
Steve B. Discusses his
Pocket tarp and other ZPacks Gear.